Funding for biomedical research
Australians scientists are doing world leading research and they are poised to expand their biomedical research to improve diagnosis and, over time, treatment. We are seeking a $15 million commitment from Government to bring forward this promising science.This funding will help transform the diagnosis, management and treatment of ME.
An investment of $15 million in biomedical research will see rapid progress with:
- The development of a new diagnostic protocol for ME combining data from clinical examination, urine and blood pathology, and cell culture.
- Understanding the molecular pathophysiology of ME and thus potentially reveal treatment options.
- Validating previous discoveries through the study of much larger cohorts.
- Mechanistic molecular studies to understand cause-effect relationships in the disease.
- The discovery and development of new treatments, based on understanding the disease mechanisms.
Investing in this research sends a powerful message to patients and their families that they matter, the Government is looking to help and it would provide them with hope.